12/03/2009

Back to (Old) School

Today a close friend of mine shared a letter he'd gotten on YouTube. I'm wondering whether correspondence like this accidentally triggered last year's media hype about "classic Sesame Street DVDs are not for kids"...


I was wondering if you could help me with something. I am wanting to buy my 3-year-old son the volumes of Sesame Street, but I am not sure what the difference is between the "Old School" ones and new [DVDs]. I also was wondering if they are the same episodes only made over, or what.

Thanks,
[name withheld]

Dear [name]:

"Old School" is just the label that the DVD sellers use for older episodes of Sesame Street--roughly the first 25 years, before the show's format changed dramatically. The DVDs released so far include the premiere episodes for Seasons 1-10, a "test pilot" episode from mid-1969, and some other popular clips from the first ten years. If your son is a huge fan of "Elmo's World" or recently added characters like Curly Bear, he'll probably get bored and impatient watching older material. (Elmo didn't even exist until 1979, and didn't develop as a major character for another 5-6 years.) If he doesn't mind a slower pace and more random, spontaneous feel though...the Old School episodes just might grow on him.

If you'd like to check out some older episodes that didn't make it onto DVD (just to see how different the format was back then), I have a largish collection of my own. I can send them to you as movie files if you like, so you and your son can have a look together. Please let me know! [Editor's note: this is a private file trade; letting the general public download whole episodes could get us into legal trouble!]

[signature deleted]

15 comments:

BigBirdFan said...

Welcome back. Where have you been. I didn't think I would ever hear from you again. I tried e-mailing you a few times with no responce. bob

ISNorden said...

I've been doing all right, though I'm busier on YouTube and in some non-TV forums elsehwere online. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, of course; please accept my apology!

BigBirdFan said...

No problem. I thought you were mad at me because this is a classic blog and I was using it to post some Elmo-related request. I am sorry.

I am having a problem. I am not longer recieving E-mails when someone leaves a comment on this blog. Could you fix this please. Thanks. Bob

Emil said...

I have a question? Maybe one of you all can help. I grew up with Sesame Street, but the Lp I love isn't listed here. It's Songs from Sesame Street 2 with a colorful cover with a child on a lamppost on the back with a DIFFERENT arrangement of Sing with these ladies singing lead. Could you shed some lite on the release? I would love to find a HI quality version as my LP is SCRATCHED badly!

ISNorden said...

BigBirdFan--I've given you and Lara admin privileges on this blog now, and added your name to a "notify by e-mail" list. One of those should work...

BigBirdFan said...

Emil

is the album that you are looking for have this cover?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/2/28/SongsFromSS2.jpg


If it is I don't have it. The album you want is on Disneyland Records, right? Bob

BigBirdFan said...

ISNorden,

Thanks for the update. It does work now. Thanks. bob

BigBirdFan said...

What is Lara's username. I can't find her on the blog? What did she post? Bob

Emil said...

OMG! Yes, this is it! I couldn't remember what record label it was produced on.. Thank you so Much!

ISNorden said...

Her username is larxene; she's posted a few foreign/rare Sesame Street albums here if I recall correctly. Sorry if that confused you...

BigBirdFan said...

Emil,

Glad to help. I just wish I had the album to post. BOb

BigBirdFan said...

Isnorden. Thanks I will search again. Bob

Emil said...

Yeah,I wish someone around here did too.. Growing up I didn't know that it wasn't the original Sesame Street 2. It was passed down from my sisters and brother who actually were around when that LP was popular. I had the original Sesame Street 1, but that was the only SS2 I knew up until recently, I got a copy of the OFFICIAL one. I was like, WOW.. Still fond of mine..

BigBirdFan said...

ISNordern,

Yes I found her she posted the originial links for the Love and Pete Seeger vists albums. If I have the right person. Bob

BigBirdFan said...

Emil,

I am holding off on buying things for now. Put I found the album used on amazon.com real cheap.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001DBEZQA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used