4/30/2008

Help wanted: Find these episode numbers, please!

A friend recently mailed me a home-burned DVD with two classic episodes of Sesame Street; both apparently aired in the late 80s/early 90s, but they're missing part of the opening theme (which means no episode numbers). Does anyone out there have the numbers for these, or could they track down that information so I can file the shows with the rest of my collection? I'd appreciate that a lot, thanks!

--------

Mystery Episode #1 (UPDATE: a friend on the Muppet Central forums identified this one as Episode 2621.)


Plot: After seeing Susan's and Luis' baby pictures, Big Bird is fascinated by the idea of what his other adult friends were like as children. He eventually sees Gabi's baby book, then helps Snuffy fill one out for Alice.
Sponsors (announced by Snuffy and Alice): B, J, 9
Notable clips:
  • Cartoon: "Old Woman Who Lived in a Nine"
  • Cartoon: Speech Balloon--B for Bug (squeamish woman sprays insecticide at a bug, who retaliates by firing a cannon)
  • Muppet song/sketch: "J Friends"
  • Grover the Waiter sketch: Mr. Johnson orders item #9 (the special of the day) at Charlie's Restaurant...and gets a medium-rare nine
  • Street scene (from an older episode): Buffy Sainte-Marie breast-feeds her son Cody, as some Muppets and kids ask questions

Trivia that might help: Maria's daughter Gabriela is still a very young child in this episode.

--------

Mystery Episode #2 (UPDATE: a friend on the Muppet Central forums identified this one as Episode 2622.)

Plot: Shelley the Turtle refuses to come out of his shell because Barkley has frightened him badly. Despite pleas from his friends on the street, Shelley keeps avoiding his fear with other activities...until an episode of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" (which he watches inside) gives Shelley enough confidence to come out.

Sponsors (announced by a female cast member--possibly Gina?): H, M, 6

Notable clips:

  • Cartoon: Typewriter Guy (H for Hand)
  • Cartoon: M for Mouse, Mud, and Mother (judging by the music and animation style, this probably dates back to Season 1-2)
  • Cartoon: Swedish Number Animation (6 camels; no voice-over)
  • Muppet song/sketch: "I Get There" (sung by Shelley as he crawls uphill to meet animal friends)
  • Live-action/Muppet sketch: Wanda the Word Fairy teaches the word "dog" as Barkley acts over-friendly to her.

Trivia that might help: Linda still owns Barkey in this episode.

--------
By the way, I checked for episodes with similar plots and/or material on Muppet Wiki; no relevant results came up for either one. *sigh*

3 comments:

BigBirdFan said...

Could you please send me the episodes?

I can watch them and try to figure it out. I have aslso become friends on YouTube with a guy who knows alot about Sesame Street, he can only tell if he watches the clips. Bob

ISNorden said...

When I have another friend convert them to movie files, I can send you the shows; this computer can't read or burn DVDs, unfortunately.

BigBirdFan said...

ok Thanks!!!!! Bob